Today 17/05/2014 is the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia. On this day we celebrate the diversity of gender and sexuality throughout humanity. We can look to the progress already made towards greater LGBT rights – but also consider the massive tasks which lie ahead of us, not only here in Britain, but on a world scale.
Homophobia, transphobia and all forms of LGBT discrimination are one of the many ways capitalism seeks to divide the working class. The struggle for LGBT rights is an essential part of the struggle against all forms of oppression under capitalism such as racism and sexism.
The ruling class seeks to foster and create division between workers in any way they can. They know this divide and rule tactic will work, because without the collective unity of the working class, nothing can be achieved.
We must push forward the struggle for LGBT rights tirelessly and root out discrimination based on gender or sexuality wherever it rears it’s head. At the same time it is only by building a strong, grass roots communist movement and party which represents the interests of the whole working class that we will be able to destroy this system which perpetuates discrimination and replace it with a socialist society free from oppression in all it’s guises.
That’s why Britain’s young communists say and have always said:
- Expose the ideologies used to perpetuate homophobia and transphobia and divide working people.
- Fight for equal rights in the workplace, in parenting and adoption, and in society as a whole.
- End bullying and discrimination in the workplace – and work to ensure our trade unions take up this challenge.
- Support local organisations fighting for LGBT rights.
- Create a positive image of the LGBT community in our schools, colleges, and higher education – eradicate discrimination in our education system.
- Fight for a socialist Britain, where one class cannot exploit another and where all forms of oppression are consigned to the dustbin of history!