We’re now one year on from the beginning of the unjustified and brutal invasion of Ukraine by Vladimir Putin and his oligarch government – an invasion which was provoked by aggressive and reckless expansion and warmongering by the United States, Britain and NATO.
This war has had tragic consequences for the peoples of Ukraine and Russia, the civilians and the conscripts on both sides. As ever, the real victims of imperialist war are working people.
Rather than calling for peace and de-escalation, Britain’s ruling class and the other NATO powers have worked to turn Ukraine into a quagmire for a grinding proxy war with Russia.
NATO, the aggressive nuclear first strike alliance which cynically provoked the crisis, with the Ukrainian people as their sacrificial pawn, now shamelessly exploits the situation, with the help of state and monopoly media, to declare itself and its enlargement to be the only solution.
Young people in Britain and around the world have nothing to gain from continuing to fuel the devastating war in Ukraine.
The predatory role of British and other international arms manufacturers, competing over arms exports and racing to open new factories in Ukraine, clearly demonstrates who profits.
Britain’s role in arming and funding this war deprives our communities here in Britain, divides our planet and threatens the very existence of humanity.
It’s time to stop the war and start the peace.
Britain’s Communists are fighting for:
- An immediate ceasefire in Ukraine and peace negotiations.
- Immediate withdrawal from NATO and the web of US imperialism, and NATO’s immediate withdrawal from Britain.
- A foreign policy which is based on peace, cooperation and international development, not war and extortion.
- Unilateral nuclear disarmament by Britain.
- Withdrawal of all British military personnel from abroad and the closure of all foreign bases.
- The reallocation of the defence budget for peaceful purposes including health, education, housing and job creation.
- An end to the persecution of communist and progressive forces in Ukraine.
No to war and imperialism!
Join the struggle for lasting peace!
Young Communist League
25 February 2023